My areas of research are regional integration processes and the domestic security externalities of economic interdependence. Please e-mail me for a copy of my research statement. Below is a list of my published research, manuscripts under review, and working papers.
Manuscripts under Review:
- “Forum: A Coup at the Capitol? Conceptualizing Coups and Other Anti-Democratic Actions” (with Jonathan M. Powell, Salah Ben Hammou, Amy Erica Smith, Lucas Borba, Drew Holland Kinney, and Erica De Bruin). International Studies Review 24, no. 1 (March 2022) viab062.
- “The Breadth-Depth Trade-Off and Varieties of Preferential Trade Agreements” (with Adil Nussipov). Journal of Common Market Studies 60, no. 3 (2022): 821-844.
- “European Union Membership Status and Decentralization: A Top-Down Approach,” Regional & Federal Studies 30, no. 1 (2020): 1-23.
- "Closing the book on Africa's First Generation Coups," African Studies Quarterly 18, no. 2 (2019): 87-95. (with Jonathan Powell).
- “Opening Up or Digging In? Failed Coups, Democratization, and Authoritarian Entrenchment,” African Affairs 118, no. 471 (2019): 238-258 (with Jonathan Powell and Gary Smith).
- "Colonial Ties and Civil Conflict Intervention: Clarifying the Causal Mechanisms," Conflict Management and Peace Science 36, no. 1 (2019): 42-62 (with Szymon Stojek). Online Appendix.
- "Migration and Public Trust in the Commonwealth of Independent States," Regional & Federal Studies 28, no. 4 (2018): 523-541(with Yoshiharu Kobayashi).
- "Economic Interdependence and Post-Coup Democratization," Democratization 24, no. 5 (2017): 819-838 (with Jonathan Powell).
- *Reprinted in Kuehn, David (editor). The Military’s Impact on Democratic Development: Midwives or Gravediggers of Democracy? (2018) New York, NY: Routledge.
- "Political and economic effects of sanctions on targeted States." In Quentin Michel, Odette Jankowitsch-Prevor and Sylvain Paile-Calvo (Eds.) Controlling the trade of strategic goods: Sanctions and Penalties. European Studies Unit (University of Liege). August 2016.
- “Investing in Stability: Economic Interdependence, Coups d’etat, and the Capitalist Peace,” Journal of Peace Research 53.4 (2016): 525-538 (with Jonathan Powell).
- "Adding Trade To The Equation: Multilevel Model Of Biased Civil War Interventions," Journal of Peace Research 15.2 (2015): 228-242 (with Szymon Stojek).
- "Leadership Change and the Power of Domestic Audiences: A Game Theoretic Account of Escalation and De-escalation in Civil Conflicts," African Security 7.2 (2014): 110-134 (with Cale D. Horne).
- "Regional Integration and the Challenge of Overlapping Memberships on Trade," Journal of International Relations and Development 17.4 (2014): 522-544.
- "Regional Attachment and Support for European Integration," European Union Politics 14.2 (2013): 206-227.
- "Regional Integration and Nuclear Energy in Africa," African Security Review 21.4 (2012): 38-50.
- "Civil Conflict Intervention: The Dividend of Economic Ties?" Political Violence @ a Glance. (2015) (with Szymon Stojek).
- "It’s been one year since Zimbabwe toppled Mugabe. Why isn’t it a democracy yet?" Monkey Cage. (2018) (with Jonathan Powell).
- "Did the Zimbabwe Coup Encourage Gabon's Plotters?" Political Violence @ a Glance. (2019) (with Jonathan Powell).
- "Coups and democracy: Searching for unicorns." Arrested Dictatorship blog (2021) (with Jonathan Powell).
- “A new coup era for Africa?” Conflict Trends. (2022) (with Jonathan Powell and Abigail Reynolds). (Also featured in Independent Online)
- “The scourge of popular coups in Africa.” Democracy in Africa.(2022). (Also featured in The Continent.)
Manuscripts under Review:
- “Cognitive Shortcuts in the Study of Military Coups” (with Jonathan M. Powell).
- “ Public opinion and regional integration in East Africa.”
- “Coups, electoral history and public support for external democracy promotion in Africa”
- “Coup leadership and the African Union’s Policy on Unconstitutional Changes of Government (with Jonathan Powell).